Wake Island – “Never Entirely There”
Wake Island premiered yesterday on Noisey the first official video off their most recent album, Out, launched April 29th. This video used an innovative language to illustrate the symbiosis between technology and humans. Footage captured from a Microsoft Kinect and a hi-def video camera were combined to create a blend of traditional images and digital renderings.
While the video features people making deep, human and sensual connections., the final result is much like the main theme of Wake Island’s sophomore album album: a marriage of traditional and digital/electronic materials that create an inherently warm and inviting experience.
“By combining the footage captured from two different cameras, we managed to create a beautiful representation of a modern person: totally immersed in technology, yet so deeply human. ;We had a very clear idea about what we wanted the video for this song to be. In a time where technology is pulling us apart from each other, we wanted to show that, if used properly, it can be a force to bring us together in beautiful, meaningful ways.”, explained Philippe Manasseh, singer of Wake Island
After CMW, the band will be heading to Europe and Lebanon for a month long tour, including shows at The Great Escape, Liverpool Sound City and the Torstraßen Festival. See complete tour dates below.
About The Album
This latest effort marks a significant artistic shift from their debut album released in 2013. Experimenting with various electronic and pop sounds, the band wrote and recorded the entirety of this album while in complete isolation from their regular environment.
The product of these experiments blends various influences of electronic and pop music, touching upon themes of self discovery through immigration and adapting to new environments. The band then took their work to long time collaborator, friend and producer Jace Lasek (The Besnard Lakes). With his help, they were able to infuse rock elements in their new electronic recordings, which created a sense of coherence with their past work.
– May 6th: Toronto @Burdock (CMW)
– May 7th: Toronto @Handlebar (CMW)
– May 13th: Wrexham @The UndegUn (Focus Wales) *
– May 17th: London @The Water Rats (Canadian Blast Showcase) *
– May 20th: Brighton @The Green Door (The Great Escape) *
– May 25th: London @Queen of Hoxton *^
– May 28th Liverpool @Cavern Stage (Liverpool Sound City)
– May 29th: Liverpool @Cargo Stage (Liverpool Sound City) *^
– May 31st: Manchester @The Soup Kitchen *^
– June 3rd: Berlin @Acud ( “The Night Before” Torstraßen Festival) *
– June 7th: Leeuwarden @Neushoorn
– June 8th: Groningen @De Gym
With more dates in Beirut TBA for June soon!
* POP Off Europe with L.A. FOSTER
*^ POP Off Europe with L.A. FOSTER and Foxtrott
Release Date: April 29, 2016
Out Track Listing
2- Never Entirely There
3- The Other End
4- How Sad
5- Our Eyes Are Melting Up
7- Milad Majik
8- Spring Break 2019 (I Feel Nothing)
9- Bend Again